- Top 10 Best Football Rib Protectors Reviewed
- 1. Schutt Varsity Rib Protector
- 2. Schutt Sports Varsity Air Maxx Football Rib Protector
- 3. CHAMPRO Adult Football Rib Protector
- 4. Gear 2000 Youth Football Rib Protector
- 5. Douglas Adult Football Adjustable 4-inch Battlefield Rib, Spine, and Back Pads Combo
- 6. Schutt Sports Youth Football Rib Protector Vest
- 7. Schutt Hard Shell Football Rib Protector Vest
- Criteria to consider before making a purchase
To protect yourself on the football field, a rib protector is a must. Since football is one of the most physically demanding contact sports, you can easily get seriously injured without any protection.
Although standard equipment such as shoulder pads and helmets can give you some protection, it is still not enough. An investment in a rib protector, either the wrap-around style or the vest guard, can perfectly provide extra protection for your body.
In this article, we have compiled a list of 10 best products for you to choose from without getting confused by the vast number of choices on the market.
Top 10 Best Football Rib Protectors Reviewed
1. Schutt Varsity Rib Protector
Our first pick, the Schutt Varsity Rib Protector, is an ideal choice for rib protection for any football players thanks to the fact that it is available in different sizes.
Another plus point is the 360-degree complete protection for both the rib and stomach area it offers. Also, the harness included in the purchase allows wearer to either wear it separately or use it with the provided straps for a better fit.
In addition, once attached to the shoulder pads, it is still easily removable after the game, and shoulder pads of other brands are also compatible. Besides, the rib protector is also highly breathable thanks to its ventilated high-density EVA material. Therefore, your back and all sides can be protected while staying cool and dry. However, there are no other color choices apart from white.
- Easy shoulder pad attachment and removal
- Available in several sizes
- Protection for both the ribs, back and all sides
- Can be wear with or without a shoulder pad
- Highly breathable fabric
- Limited color choice (only white)
2. Schutt Sports Varsity Air Maxx Football Rib Protector
This Schutt Sports Varsity Air Maxx Football Rib Protector with its air management style and suitability for varsity players is an ideal choice for your next investment.
Wearing this gear, you can rest assured that both your ribs and lower back can be fully protected. In addition, it also allows you to wear using either the shoulder pad or the harness provided in the purchase, and its exclusive Schutt air management mechanism can keep you cool throughout your game.
Besides, its raised corrugations also effectively boost the rib protector’s durability, and its padding and inner lining specifically designed for better comfort are also noteworthy. With its impact-resistant outer shell, the rib protector can surely withstand both low-and-high-impact hits. Although it is also available in many sizes, varsity players can find it a bit too big for them.
- Rib and lower back protection
- Air management system keeping you cool and comfortable
- Raised corrugations for better durability and strength
- Adequate body padding
- Ability to withstand high-impact hits
- Some sizing issues
3. CHAMPRO Adult Football Rib Protector
This CHAMPRO rib protector is ideal for adult football players thanks to its customized fit facilitated by its adjustable hook and loop closure, keeping the gear in place throughout even the toughest game.
In addition, its high-impact plastic outer shell and wrap-round design provide complete side, back and rip protection. Shoulder pad attachment is also easy, as the required attachment hardware is already included in the purchase.
Despite all those special features, it is very reasonably priced, making it one of the best choices available on today’s market. However, the actual size can be bigger than the size indicated, so you should pick a smaller size for the best fit.
- Comfortable customized fit
- Side, back and rib protection thanks to its wrap-round design
- High durability and strength
- Easy shoulder pad attachment
- Reasonable price
- Some sizing issues
4. Gear 2000 Youth Football Rib Protector
Youth football players will find this rib protector especially useful as it is especially designed for them. Since Gear is a reputable brand on the field, this is surely a reliable choice for maximum protection on the football field.
The best thing about this rib protector is that it is incredibly lightweight, which allows unrestrained movement for its wearer. In addition, its highly durable material is also a plus point, making the product more long-lasting than most of its counterparts.
The only problem is that this you only have one color option, which is not much of a big deal considering all the advantages it boasts.
- Suitable for youth football players
- Reputable manufacturer
- Lightweight, ensuring free movements
- Highly durable material
- Excellent protection
- Only one color option
5. Douglas Adult Football Adjustable 4-inch Battlefield Rib, Spine, and Back Pads Combo
This rib protector from Douglas features numerous pads for complete protection of both your ribs, spine and back, making it an ideal investment for your next game.
In addition, its wrap-round design is also a contributing factor to its high level of protection, thereby surely boosting your confidence on the field and preventing any unwanted injuries to the body parts covered by it. In more detail, your torso and the lower body sides can be safeguarded from any hits during even the most aggressive games, and the extra grommets added can allow wearers to conveniently adjust the height of the rib combo.
Besides, its compatibility with various shoulder pads is also a plus point. Although this product is relatively expensive, the benefits it provides can surely overshadow this.
- Great protection for your ribs, spine and back
- Wrap-round design for maximum protection
- Extra grommets for convenient positioning
- Compatibility with most shoulder pads on the market
- Effective resistance to harmful impact during the game
- A bit expensive
6. Schutt Sports Youth Football Rib Protector Vest
This high-quality rib protector from Schutt has an impressive vest form that can offer significant protection for your back and ribs.
This vest-like design allows the product to be easily put on and off. In addition, the adjustable straps and sturdy buckles that it comes with also facilitate a perfect fit for its wearer. Besides, the perforated fabric on the top of the rib protector also makes it highly breathable, keeping you dry and cool throughout your game day.
Finally, your ribs and lower torso can also be fully protected thanks to the high-impact EVA foam cushion featured in this vest, and its hard-exterior also help shield you from any high-impact hits you may have during the game. However, this vest is only suitable for young players as it is not available in adult sizes.
- Good rib and back protection
- Easy to put on and off with its vest style
- Adjustable straps equipped
- Perforated fabric for high breathability
- High-impact hit protection
- Only suitable for youth players
7. Schutt Hard Shell Football Rib Protector Vest
This rib protector from Schutt is specifically designed for extra protection under your shoulder pads while maintaining maximum mobility. Since this comes in both youth and adult sizes, players of all ages can utilize it for additional protection on the field.
The most impressive thing about this rib protector is its hard exterior shell which can completely safeguard your ribs and lower back. In addition, it can absorb the impact from any hits thanks to the EVA-perforated foam padding inside, and its proper ventilation also makes it more comfortable to wear for long periods of time.
The only downside of this vest is that you will not find the adjustable straps in the purchase, making it harder to adjust the vest to fit your body more perfectly.
- Great rib and lower back protection
- Special design allowing free movement
- Available in both youth and adult sizes
- Effective impact absorption with its foam padding
- Proper ventilation
- Adjustable straps not included in the purchase
8. TUOY Padded Compression Shirt Football Rib Protector
Thanks to its design which allows you to wear it like a real shirt, this rib protector can be versatile enough for other sports aside from football such as basketball, rugby and even snowboarding. Another noticeable point is the incredibly breathable material used in it, allowing the best level of comfort for its wearer.
Besides, the additional padding included in this shirt also provide extra support and a snug fit for all your back, shoulders, chest and ribs. It also very stable and sturdy on your waist, and it can effectively enhance your performance thanks to the muscle support it offers. Apart from that, the antibacterial material it uses also reduce any unwanted odor.
This rib protector is also excellent in terms of shape retention even after several washes. However, the material might be less elastic and stretchy than expected.
- Versatile enough to be used in various sports
- Breathable and well-ventilated material
- Adequate muscle, rib, back, shoulder and chest support
- Antibacterial property minimizing the risk of odor
- Material may not be as elastic and stretchy as expected
9. Jellybro Padded Football Protective Gear Training Suit Rib Protector
This rib protector suit can protect your ribs and other body parts from injuries while remaining flexible enough for you to move freely thanks to the combination of its lightweight and elastic EVA-emulsion cushion system and polyester material.
Thanks to its light weight, you can comfortably move around on the field, thereby boosting your performance and confidence. In addition, the suit is waterproof, which is also a plus point.
With its thick pad, your heart and elbow can be fully protected, and its quick-dry, highly breathable property also make it more comfortable for you to wear. Although some people may find the added padding a bit too bulky, it still receives high ratings from over 180 satisfied customers on Amazon.
- Flexible and protective
- Light weight and comfortable
- Breathable and quick to dry
- Truly elastic cushioning
- Some users find the added padding too bulky
10. Zicac Sports Rash Guard Compression Protective Vest
Our last recommendation, the Zicac Sports Rash Guard Compression Protective Vest, is famous for its flexibility, as it can be used for not only football but also other contact sports like paintball, basketball, skiing and snowboarding.
The combination of EVA foam, polyester, and highly elastic and breathable fabric allows the vest to be both sturdy and comfortable to wear. Its UV-protection properties and anti-collision particles also contributes greatly to its ability to protect you on the field, and you can surely enjoy a more locked-in feel thanks to its tight compression. Also, your chest and shoulders can be fully protected thanks to its added padding.
With all these features, the vest can be a bit too bulky to wear under clothes.
- Flexible and protective for players of various contact sports
- Comfortable and sturdy
- UV-protection properties and anti-collision particles
- Better speed and flexibility with its tight compression
- Extra padding for rib support
- Slight bulky when worn under clothes
Criteria to consider before making a purchase
Before you decide on a rib protector to buy, take a look at these criteria for a better understanding to make the best option.
The most common types of rib protectors on today’s market include the padded compression shirt/vest and conventional rib protector. You have to understand the purpose behind each type of rib protector for optimal effectiveness.
2. Intended purpose
Although the main purpose of this gear is rib protection, other factors should be taken into account. In fact, the compression vest is better for upper body protection, and conventional rib protectors are better for those looking for something a bit bulkier.
This factor is very important as it determines whether you can use the rib protector for a long time and whether it can withstand the impact you may have in your game without quickly falling apart.
4. Ease of use
Although it is true that you may familiarize yourself with the gear over time, it is still better to choose a user-friendly product for better confidence and efficiency.
As accidents are an inevitable part in not just football but in any other contact sports, protection for the most vulnerable parts in your body is a must, especially your ribs.
It is hoped that this article can help you realize the most important criteria for you to take into account when choosing a rib protector and then opt for the best protective gear for your next game. Leave a comment and share your choice with us!